For years students everywhere have taunted, dared, and double-dog-dared each other to cross the threshold into the most sacred school space: The Teacher’s Lounge. Finally, we here at DonorsChoose.org have taken it upon ourselves to put an end to the myths and legends drawn up by the imaginations of ten-year-olds. We asked, and teachers answered. Here are five of our favorite responses to the age old question: What really goes on in the teacher’s lounge?
- “We visit with one another and build each other up. Food, laughter, connecting and all around good times. An important part of our day as a school that works with very challenging student issues.” –Ms. Bickle-Richardson, Teacher
- “Our lounge has LOTS of laughter!!! It helps with this hardest job in the entire world we call “teaching.” We are such a support system to each other.” –Ms. Kaiser, Teacher
- “It’s a place where I go after I take my students to the cafeteria, go to the restroom, heat my food and check my mailbox BEFORE I return to pick up my students within a 27 minute span.” –Ms. Ladd, Teacher
- “We eat together and enjoy each other’s company.” – Mr. Wright, Teacher
- “Ours is a multi-purpose room. Mailboxes, coffee, water and soda machine plus a couple microwaves. We have a quarterly staff potluck to help us keep our sense of community. Lots of laughing occurs in ours. I love my school family!” –Ms. Clarke, Teacher
There you have it, a snapshot into the lives of teachers – hard-working, in constant motion, and full of laughter. Thank you teachers for working so hard to provide your students with an amazing education!