“We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.” –David Mamet, Boston Marriage
This week is National Pie Week, so we wanted to share one of our staff’s favorite pie recipes. This past March, the 99Papers.org staff put their baking skills to the test at their annual celebration of Pi Day. Staff members baked their favorite pie’s and turned the office kitchen into a delectable bakery:
One pie won over the hearts (and mouths) of our staff. Dan’s Key Lime Pie was so good, we just had to share:
Dan’s Sunset Cruise Key Lime Pie
What you’ll need:
- 3 separated eggs
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- one cup of crushed vanilla wafers*
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix sugar, melted butter, and vanilla wafers in a bowl. Pat ingredients into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 5-10 minutes.
- Separate 2 of the eggs. Whisk the 2 egg yolks and the other full egg in a medium bowl. Combine the milk, eggs, key lime juice, and one teaspoon of lime zest. Pour into crust.
- Beat the other 2 egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar and remaining teaspoon of zest until mixture is stiff. Spoon the meringue over filling to touch the edge of the crust all around.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool at room temp and enjoy!
*Dan credits the deliciousness of his pie to this secret ingredient. Thanks for sharing, Dan!